Welcome to our 31 Days of Homeschool is the Best Because series day 1.
I’m Lara, the homeschool mentor, speaker, and main coffee drinker behind Everyday Graces Homeschool. I’ll be joined by many amazing homeschoolers this month sharing why each of us knows that homeschool is the best for our family.
I have no doubt that some of the reasons will resonate with you. We are all in the trenches together, and while each family is unique, many of us share the values and goals that make homeschool such a perfect fit.
I hope you enjoy this series! Visit our 31 Days of Homeschool is the Best page for links to every post. The inks will go live as the posts are published so be patient 😉 31 days is a long time!
For our family, homeschool is the best because:
- God gave us our children to shepherd, not to hand off to the government for 8+ hours a day.
- We can help them learn how to think without the need to un-indoctrinate them from being taught what to think.
- We get to do life together, rather than fighting to get homework done and being exhausted during the fringe hours.
- ADHD and what is called “traditional” school don’t mix.
- Dyslexia isn’t addressed in public school until the children are so far behind it’s almost impossible to catch up.
- We control the curriculum, ideas, and presentation of what happens in our school.
- We can shelter our children. No, to in a bubble but we get to decide what and how they learn about the atrocities in today’s world.
- We don’t have to deal with bullying every day. Just sibling squabbles.
- We get to explore nature.
- We can take week long (or longer) filed trips.
- We have no worries about food allergies since we are in control of the meals.
- I am with my children, teaching and learning alongside them, and I still get to have a fulfilling career helping other homeschool moms.
- Our faith can be an active part of the curriculum. It’s completely our choice.
- We can encourage exploration in the areas our children are gifted while supporting the areas where they struggle.
- We set our own schedule by going year round in quarters.
- We get to read “banned” books.
- We get to learn real history, not hogwash colored by current political leanings of textbook companies supported by the bureaucrats they love to lobby for.
- We get to interact with our children and their friends and actually have a viable community that carries beyond cliques and 4 brick walls.
- We know that homeschooling isn’t a formula for success or keeping our children in our faith, but it is a valuable tool for keeping children an active participant in family life where we can learn, grow, and thrive together.
As we go through the next 30 days, many of these ideas and lots of others will be expounded upon by lots of friends from the homeschooling arena. I hope you find these encouraging and helpful.
Leave a comment below on why homeschool is the best for your family!