Online Math for Elementary Homeschoolers
We received a complimentary quarter of Redbird Mathematics from GiftedandTalented.com for review purposes. I was compensated for my time and was not required to post a positive review. All opinions are honest and my own.
Online courses are not something I am drawn to for elementary ages. However, Mr. T learns well from apps and online programs and since he likes numbers but needs a lot of practice and reinforcement for actual concepts, we decided to give Redbird Mathematics a go. We still follow our living books curriculum style but 3-4 days a week he does 30 minutes of Redbird and somedays when it isn’t on the plan, he asks to do it. Amazing! Be sure to read all the way to the bottom because there is an excellent giveaway!
GiftedandTalented.com Redbird Math is a program we love because:
- Adaptive technology is utilized to ensure the student is constantly challenged. Because he gets bored easily, this is a huge plus for Mr. T.
- The manipulatives used are fun and digital so there aren’t any cute little plastic bears to step on in the dead of night or plastic coins for Mr. F to toss down the air vent.
- The games are engaging, fun, great practice and for competitive young students, they allow them to compete against the game so no sibling hurt feelings are involved.
- STEM is incorporated throughout the program.
- By clicking on the speaker symbol, the problem is read to the student. This allows for even the youngest student to have some independence during a typically parent-heavy subject. I often am able to step back and let Mr. T complete his daily 30 minutes on his own.
- Tutored classes are available for all levels. It is a service we will definitely keep in mind for later years.
- Classes range from K-7 through Redbird, and Tutor Supported EPGY classes are available for 8-12th grades.
GiftedandTalented.com is also offering a special 10% discount code, LEARNMATH. Expiration 2/1/2016. Code can be applied at checkout during enrollment process.
Self Paced and Engaging Math
Redbird Mathematics is self-paced so there is no rush and Mr. T can go through it a quickly or slowly as is comfortable for him. Since he enjoys it so much the days we do it he does it in 30 minute increments, sometimes more if he doesn’t want to move on. Below is a short video showing how easy it is to navigate and how fun it is to work in.
Mr. T’s favorite part of #redbirdmath is the games. He’s determined to win the “Math Car” racing game and is working on speeding up his addition and subtraction. I love how he’s competitive nature is pushing him to get better instead of me ?. Seriously, though, when your child has #asynchronous abilities, finding programs/methods that allow them to shine can take time, patience, and lots of “well that was a disaster”s. Keep on keeping on, when you find what clicks, it’s pure gold. #everydaygraces #homeschoollookslikethis #iHSnet #2e
Sign up for the GiftedandTalented.com Newsletter!